03 July 2012

Six Hours Later...

25 June 2012
5:00am - Houston Airport


I've clearly spent too much time sitting on my tush as my tailbone hurts.  Ow.

Eesh painful.
We've been worried about Courtney making the connection between her flight and our flight to Managua.  She's supposed to land barely an hour before we depart and it's a big airport.  So, since we have all this free time, I timed the walking distance from Courtney's gate to ours.  It's six minutes using the moving sidewalks (those things make me feel like I'm walking with superhuman capabilities) with no luggage, no people, and stumpy legs.  It definitely made me feel better about her chances of catching the flight.  I think she'll be okay.  Hopefully.

It was awkward walking past security twice.  They all stared at me as I passed them as if I was crazy for wandering around the airport at 3am.  Maybe they're right - it's absolutely deserted right now.  Creepy.

Hello?
 I attempted to sleep.  It was not exactly a success.  We pulled two rows of chairs together (have I mentioned how inconvenient it is when they put armrests on these chairs?  At least they weren't bolted to the floor.) and curled up.  However, the chairs slope down towards the seat back, which means my head and feet were below my hips.  I've been more comfortable.  Since I didn't have a pillow, I first tried to use my backpack, but my hand fell asleep while in this position - so asleep that it was painful.  That seemed irrational to me, since when one's limb is asleep, one shouldn't feel anything.  
Sara's cocoon strategy was far more successful than mine.

Side note:  there are no open bathrooms within reasonable walking distance of our gate.  Not cool.

At any rate, now I'm awake and, since our gate got changed, I'd like to move over to it.  The fact that it's next to a Starbucks is completely unrelated.  However, Sara hit snooze (on me) so now I'm writing until she wakes up (or I poke her...).

I've also already finished one of the two books I brought (Pride & Prejudice and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - sensing a trend?)

No comments:

Post a Comment