03 July 2012

La Dia de Departure

24 June 2012
4:54pm - Boston Logan Airport


"One might wonder how an unemployed ex-graduate student with no means whatsoever was able to afford a trip to Cuba.  The truth of the matter was that I couldn't afford it.  However, in an act of colossal misjudgement, American Express had agreed to give me a credit card."
-The Sex Lives of Cannibals, J. Maarten Troost

Official first picture of the trip
Possibly one of the funniest books I've ever read and, as you can see, fairly accurate in relation to me (maybe minus the "ex-grad student," "Cuba," and "American Express" bits).  It seemed an appropriate quote to start out on.

There seems to be a general belief that, since I am traveling, I have money.  Let me just state for the record that this is entirely false.  Were I a more fiscally responsible or more grounded person, this would probably not be happening.  However, I am equipped not only with a ferocious wanderlust and an apparent desire to put myself in potentially hazardous situations, but also a friend who shares these qualities with me. Therefore, with very little trepidation, we booked flights to Managua, the capital of Nicaragua, six months ago. It's about time we had another adventure!


11:44pm - George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston

The fact that this airport is named after George Bush nauseates me quite a bit.  But, I guess I'm on "his" turf now, so I'll try to contain myself.  It's only temporary.
I'm struck by the absurdity of the calm, cool recorded voice (you know, the one that says "any unattended bags will be removed and may be destroyed") announcing, "any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest."  Clearly no one is allowed to have a sense of humor anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I do understand why they say this, but come on.

Quote of the flight:
Sara (as we're dancing and lipsynching to Nicki Minaj's "SuperBass" on my headphones): "It'd be kind of cool to do like an overhead view right now and see what everyone else is doing right now, like watching movies or sleeping or reading, and then there's us... doing this."

Upon successfully arriving at Houston, where we'd be spending roughly the next 12 hours, we:
  • found food.  Ate stromboli.  Huge mistake as it's currently waging war with my stomach.
  • called Mom.  She's still questioning my sanity.
  • Took a succession of super attractive bathroom pictures.
  • Located and camped out at gate... 10 hours early


Goons.

No comments:

Post a Comment